adult women advice
Moving into a new place is a very exciting time and many home-dwellers choose to share their bliss by having housewarming parties to christen their new space. Everyone knows you should never show up to a party empty-handed, but chances are that the home owners already bought the basics and have a design aesthetic in mind. Check out these affordable gift ideas to celebrate someone’s new home.
These products all benefit breast cancer charities. Each item donates a portion of profits or a guaranteed company-wide donation to the cause!
Under most circumstances these gifts should not overshadow the one you give to your own mother. Keep in mind that thoughtfulness does not have a price tag so even if you can’t afford a gift, a simple phone call will be sure to make her day!
One heartfelt way to convey your feelings is through the written word. Buy a blank card or nice notepaper and write down exactly how you feel. Or create and frame a poem about what makes this woman extraordinary.
Encourage your kids to do the same. Little ones can draw a picture while teens and young adults can write their own separate greetings.
While you can’t go wrong with flowers or candy, here are some other innovative ways to express yourself:
- Make a donation to a charity or organization that’s important to her. By supporting a good cause, you’re not only honoring her but helping others as well.
- Gather pictures from times you’ve shared and create a calendar to show her she is remembered all year long. Or make a scrapbook, e-book or collage of special photos. Have the kids caption the photos.
- If she’s elderly or home bound, commit to spending a family day doing yard work or other household chores that you know have been neglected. You and the kids can make or buy a garden stepping stone as a special addition to the yard.
- You and the kids can prepare (or order) a special lunch or dinner to share. Freeze the leftovers so she has another good meal and fond memory of the day.
- If she’s in a nursing home or assisted care facility, call the office to see if there are any special services or activities available. Consider buying a salon service (manicure, pedicure, hair) or pre-pay for activities that she might not be able to afford on a fixed income. Then visit and let her know how beautiful she is.
- For movie lovers try movie tickets or a gift certificate to an Internet or mail movie subscription service.
When to Give a Friendship Gift
Be spontaneous! One of the great things about a friendship gift is that you can give one to a friend whenever you want for any reason, or no reason at all!
- A gift is a great way to cheer up a friend who’s going through a difficult time, and also to remind them you are there to lend support whenever needed.
- It can remind a friend who’s moving out of town that your friendship is always there, even when you’re far away.
How Much to Spend
Spend whatever you'd like- a friendship gift is your way of saying, “I’m glad we’re friends!” That kind of gift is priceless!
Gift Ideas For Friends
Friendship gifts should be from the heart. Make it personal! Try and come up with something that will commemorate your friendship or is based on a memory or joke the two of you shared.
- Stay away from cash. It’s too impersonal for a friendship gift.
- Don’t get too intimate- gifts like lingerie are best left for significant others.
Here are some ways to show your friend how much you care!
- Engraved gifts – A jewelry box, cigar box, journal or travel bag with their initials engraved or sewn on is a personal gift they can enjoy for years to come!
- Just like old times! - Take a friend to a restaurant or dessert spot where you used to go together as kids.
- A silly photo of you and your friend in a “friendship picture frame” is a thoughtful way to capture the joy that you share.
- Friendship bracelets - Popular among young adults, they serve as a constant reminder of your friendship.
- Buy a plaque with a quote or poem- this is a wonderful way to tell your friend how you feel.
- Big night out! Treat your friend to a night out on the town. Go to a concert or ballgame that you will both enjoy.
- Sometimes the sweetest gift is a handwritten letter from the heart, telling your friend what he or she means to you.
Send a quiz
Whenever you purchase a gift for a friend, it’s probably a good idea to include a gift receipt. That way, if you’ve misjudged, she'll be able to return the present and get something that better suits her style.