Romance on Any Budget
Broke, but in Love
Free is the key in your vocabulary, but your Valentine understands true love doesn’t measure in dollar and cents. Romance your sweetheart the following ways:
- Create a “What I Love About You Jar” and write down everything you adore about the one you love and put it in an empty jar.
- Tour the spot you first met and reenact your first kiss.
- Write an original song, poem or compose a letter for your Valentine. Present it over candlelight.
- Arrange a romantic scavenger hunt to familiar places for your Valentine with you being the prize at the very end.
- Create a wonderful homemade candlelit dinner. Go all out by making menus and decorating your dining space as if it is a 5-star restaurant. Don't forget an ice bucket for your $9 bottle of wine!
Getting By With My Sweetie Pie
You have a little extra spending money to celebrate love, but you still need to pay the bills. Try these creative ways to make your money go as far as your love for your Valentine:
- Take your love on evening carriage ride through the park and snuggle under a blanket together.
- Find a restaurant that has dinner and dancing for Valentine’s and hold your sweetheart close. Many restaurants offer reduced rates or fixed price menus during Valentine’s day, so call ahead of time and confirm.
- Create a gift basket of their favorite decadent desserts and serve it by candlelight.
- Buy luxurious new pajamas and invite them to a romantic breakfast out. Bring along the paper to share (and hide a few love notes and cards inside).
Hey Big Spender!
The sky’s the limit with your bank account so hold nothing back to show your romantic side:
- Take your valentine to a sporting event and get their name and “I LOVE YOU” on the Jumbotron.
- Buy a full page ad in your local paper declaring your love.
- Send a dozen roses for every year (or month) you’re together to their home or workplace.
- Have your honey picked up by limo and arrange a romantic treasure hunt, where the limo stops at various fun shops (chocolatier, jeweler, florist) for them to receive their V-day gifts. Last stop- a 5-star restaurant where you are waiting!
- Book a couple plane tickets and fly the two of you to a surprise romantic destination for the weekend. Make sure to have the hotel booked, a loose itinerary planned, and a bottle of champagne awaiting your arrival.