Traditional Anniversary Gifts
Do I Need to Buy a Gift?
During the first several years of marriage gifts are generally only exchanged between the couple, though close friends and family members may buy a small gift if they choose. It’s more common to buy an anniversary gift for a milestone anniversaries like the 25th or 50th.
If the couple throws an anniversary party, they shouldn’t expect gifts, though you should bring something.
You’re not obligated to send a gift if you’re unable to attend, but it’s always thoughtful to do so.
It’s best to give the gift within a few days of the anniversary.
Type of Gift
Many years ago Emily Post came up with a table of guidelines of anniversary gifts for each year. It’s been updated with more modern gift ideas, though remember, it’s just a guide. The best gifts are often creative ideas you come up with yourself!
- If you know the couple well, focus on activities or hobbies which they enjoy together.
- It’s generally considered inappropriate to give cash as an anniversary gift.
- Gifts shouldn’t be too intimate. Leave that for the couple themselves!
1st Anniversary Gifts
The traditional gift for a 1st anniversary is paper and the modern alternative is a clock. Here are a couple of creative gift ideas to consider:
- A hand drawn caricature of the happy couple is a fun gift for a joyous occasion!
- A personalized 1st anniversary magazine cover is something they can display for everybody to see.
10th Anniversary Gifts
Tenth anniversary gifts traditionally consisted of tin or aluminum and the modern day alternative is diamond jewelry. Here are some other options to explore:
- Elegant wind chimes for the backyard are a thoughtful gift.
- A spa package for two is a great way for them to relax together!
25th Anniversary Gifts
This is commonly referred to as the “silver anniversary” and silver is the traditional gift, though there are many other thoughtful alternatives. Here are a couple options to consider:
- A personalized silver anniversary plate makes a beautiful keepsake.
- Remind them of when it all began with a copy of the New York Times from their wedding day.
50th Anniversary Gifts
Traditionally, gold is the gift of choice for this special anniversary. These are a couple of other delightful alternatives:
- Hiring an artist to paint a portrait of the couple is a wonderful way to commemorate the occasion!
- A photo album with pictures and stories from members of the family is a gift they will cherish forever.