Gifts for a Housewarming Party
Were you invited to see your friend’s new home and aren’t sure if you need to bring a gift? We’ve got you covered! We’ll break down when you should bring a gift, how much you should spend and give you some ideas for the perfect gift. The only thing left for you to do is tell your friend or relative how great their new home looks!
If There’s a Housewarming Party...
Many people throw a housewarming party to welcome friends and family to their new home (and to show it off of course!). It’s not proper for the host to expect gifts, though you should bring one anyway. It’s a nice way to wish them good luck with their new home.
If the host requests no gifts, you should respect their wishes. Bringing a gift could create an awkward situation for those that didn’t. If you’re invited to a housewarming party, but don’t attend, you’re not obligated to give a gift, though it is thoughtful to do so.
If There’s Not a Housewarming Party...
If your friend or family member does not have a housewarming party, you do not need to give a housewarming gift, however it may be nice to bring a little something when you visit their home for the first time.
How Much to Spend
You do not need to spend a lot of money. Housewarming gifts are a token gesture to wish the new homeowners well in their new home. A $15-$20 plant or picture frame will be more than appreciated, but feel free to spend more if you are a close family member and can contribute towards larger household items such as a blender, coffee maker, or vacuum.
A housewarming gift can be just about anything that’s used in the home, from a small appliance to towels. The challenging part is that you don’t know what your friend or relative already has. It never hurts to ask them if there are particular items they may need or want. Some people register for their housewarming party, though it’s considered poor etiquette for them to announce it - you can ask about that as well.
Here are some traditional and creative gifts to consider:
- Wine – Wine glasses and a bottle of wine or champagne will allow you to celebrate the occasion with your friend or family member over a drink . Just remember it's a gift – don't hog the bottle!
- Decorative art – A pretty painting or sculpture is a lovely gift, but only if you’re very well acquainted with the person’s taste and style.
- Greenery – A bamboo plant is supposed to be good luck and would be a wonderful way to breathe life into a new home!
- Gift card – You can never go wrong with a gift card. They know what they need and want better than you do – a gift certificate to a home improvement store may be the perfect way to help them set up their new home.
- Traditional but never out of style – Bread (so their home is never hungry), salt (so their life may always have flavor) or sugar (for a sweet and happy life).
email sign up, find the perfect gifts for your friends & family
Thank you for signing up!